4 x 8: Response to COVID-19 by Coalesce Design Studio
Inspired by the unprecedented nature of the pandemic, Karachi based Coalesce Design Studio aims to contribute by designing relevant solutions that can aid the fight against the COVID-19 crisis in Pakistan.
Envisioning the lack of healthcare facilities to deal with burgeoning cases as the foremost problem, designers at Coalesce feel that additional facilities will need to be constructed on an urgent and cost effective basis with limited supply chain of labor and raw materials.
4x8 is a beginning response to these issues. An open source project which is available for everyone to see, implement, take forward, use, improve, and come up with more possibilities of this concept. The studio is currently commencing work on a detailed manual for the costing/stakeholders which will be made accessible very soon.
1) Lack of healthcare facilities to deal with the burgeoning cases.
2) Hospitals are operating at capacity.
3) High capital investment required in developing additional facilities.
4) Time is critical, quicker solutions required.
5) Lock-downs have disrupted supply chains of labor and raw materials.
Theory of Change - Value Proposition
1) Reliance on indigenous solutions - sourcing of raw materials is easier.
2) Quick solution - xxx capacity modules can be developed within xxx days.
3) Cost effective.
4) Plug and play approach - the entire facility can be repacked and shifted to another location within days.
Project: 4 x 8: Response to Covid-19
Design House: Coalesce Design Studio, Karachi, Pakistan